|What to do in Bandung|
|Bandung is the capital city of West Java, Indonesia. Located in a highland city (altitude 768m) Bandung is known for its many universities, textile industry and many roadside cafes. Called Parijs van Java (Paris of Java) by the Dutch, its high altitude location makes the weather pleasantly cool. The food in Bandung is also well known for its wide varieties and taste. And in recent years, there are many Factory Outlets (FO) selling export-quality branded fashion and accessories, makes Bandung a shopping haven for tourists. Many tourists from Jakarta visit Bandung during weekends and national holidays, when it can get quite crowded.
Places to Eat
- Batagor (Baso Tahu Goreng): Batagor Kingsley Jl. Veteran, Batagor Riri Jl. Burarangrang 41 (in front of the BCA building).
- Martabak: Martabak Lodaya and Martabak San Fransisco at Jln. Lodaya.
- Lotek (mixed boiled vegetables, served with peanut paste and some chillies): Lotek Kalipah Apo Jl. Kalipah Apo
- Mie Kocok(noodle soup, served with beef foot, beef skin and tauge): Mie Kocok SKM Jl. Sunda.
- Sundanese food: Kedai Ma' Uneh Jl. Terasana I No. 132 Pajajaran, Sindang Reret Jl. Surapati No. 53 (near Telkom office), Nasi Timbel Dago at Jl. Dago, Bumbu Desa Jl. Pasirkaliki 160.
- Pujasera (Pusat Jajan Serba Ada): Paskal Hyper Square Jl. Pasirkaliki (more than 50 vendors that sell many famous local delicacies)
Cafe & Restaurants with Views
- The View: Resor Dago Pakar
- Congo & Rumah Joglo: turn right to a small street just before the security gate of Resor Dago Pakar
- Kampung Daun: Jl Sersan Bajuri Km 4.7 No 88 Villa Trinity Complex
- Sierra Cafe & Lounge: Jl. Bukit Pakar no 33.
- The Valley Cafe: Jl. Bukit Pakar Timur
- Kedai Nyonya Rumah: Jl. Naripan 92
- Atmosphere Cafe: Jl. Lengkong Besar no 97
- Yoghurt Cisangkuy: Jl. Cisangkuy (near Gedung Sate complex).
- Es Cendol Elizabeth: Jl. Cihampelas
- Bandoeng Melk Centrale (BMC): Jl. Aceh 30,
- Susu segar Lembang: many street vendors along the Jl. Raya Lembang
Snacks & Pastry
- Kartika Sari: Jl. Kebon Jukut (near railway station Jl Kebon Kawung), Jl. Dago, etc.
- Brownies Kukus Amanda: Jl. Rancabolang 29, Jl. Lodaya 8, Jl. Cikawao, Paskal Hyper Square
- Primarasa : Jl. Kemuning 20, Jl. Peta 168, Jl. Buah Batu
- Sus Merdeka: Jl. Merdeka (in front of Bandung Indah Plaza)
- Snacks: Karya Umbi Jl. Cihampelas, Snack Corner Jl.Cihampelas, Jl. Riau
- Factory outlets in Jl. Riau: Heritage (inside an old historical building, nice to see also the building), China Emporium (with an old Chinese dynasty setting), Summit, Oasis, Metropolitan, Renarity, Emirates, Terminal Tas, Edward Forrer.
- Factory outlets in Jl. Dago: Rich & Famous, Coconel, Glamour, Blossom, Uptown (with a small kiosk selling a strawberry juice), Dago Stock Centre, M&M, Justine, Level.
- Factory outlets around Jl.Sukajadi-Jl.Setiabudi: FOS Clothing Gallery (Jl. Setiabudi 73), XO (Jl. Sukajadi 212), Rumah Mode (Jl. Setiabudi 41F).
Places to Visit
- Lembang Trip: A trip to the north of Bandung that cannot be missed. (below places are in the sequence order)
- Boscha Observatorium on Jl. Raya Lembang
- Pasar Lembang: drink fresh milk, buy fresh fruit and vegetables, etc.
- Mt. Tangkuban Perahu: see the active mountain crater closely
- Sari Ater: a resort with natural hot water spring pools, some recreation parks and healthy spas
- Ciwidey Trip: A trip to south of Bandung.
Direction: From Jakarta-Bandung Toll road, take 'Kopo' exit. Turn right on the traffic lights after the toll booth to Jl. Kopo, and follow the signs to Ciwidey.
- Situ Patenggang lake: in the middle of tea plantation in Ciwidey offers you a relax time in a boat and fishing.
- Kawah Putih: white crater formed by the sulfuric activity. used by many for photo session spot.
- Strawberry Farms: we can pick the strawberies ourselves.
- Architectural Visits
- Villa Isola, Jl. Dr. Setiabudhi 229. (Now is UPI/IKIP Bandung)
Architect: C.P.W. Schoemaker. Built in 1932 for an Italian millionaire D.W. Berretty as a villa. It lies in the northern part of Bandung, overlooking the city to south and the Tangkuban Perahu mountain to the north.
- Gedung Merdeka, Jl. Asia-Afrika 65 (near alun-alun or city square).
Architect: Van Gallen Last and C.P.W Schoemaker. Built in 1895 for a club house for rich people, named the Concordia Society. In 1955, this building was famous as the first Asian-African conference venue. Now it is a museum for that conference.
- Savoy Homann Hotel, Jl. Asia-Afrika 112.
It was built in 1880, renovated in 1938 by a Dutch architect A.F. Aabers with an art-deco style as it is seen today. It still serves a hotel until now. The King and Queen of Siam, The Prince and Queen of Belgium, The Governor General of Indo-China, The Duchess of Westminster and even Charles Chaplin had stayed there three times.
- Gedung Sate, Jl. Diponegoro.
Architect: J. Gerber, built in 1921. It was used as the head of the Dutch Indies Government Companies. The roof has a decoration of a popular satay food as now it is famous for the name, though it was not meant to be like that. In fact, it is a 6 ornaments, symbolizing 6 million guldens, the cost of the building.This building mixes different architectural styles: Spanish moorish style for the windows, Italian reinaissance for the overal building, and between Balinese pura & Thai's pagoda for the roof.The building is open for public, and at the end of the journey inside, you can sip a nice hot bajigur drink while watching the city view from the top floor.
- Outdoor Activities
- Juanda Forest Park or Dago Pakar (only 5 minutes from Dago Pakar Villa). The official name is Taman Hutan Raya ir. H. Juanda. It is a forest park, serves as a water reservoir for the city. There are some interesting parks for children or to have a picnic there. There are also some old WW II caves during the Japanese era.
- Little Farmer : Jl. Kolonel Masturi 339, Cisarua, Cimahi. At this place, children can learn more about farm activities, like picking vegetables, feeding cattles, and also other outbound activities such as: Flying Fox, Crossing Bridge, etc.
- All About Strawberry: Jl. Cihanjuang KM 2,5, Cimahi. We can see strawberry farms and many kinds of trees, and do many outdoor activities, like: Flying Fox, Pool Rafting, etc.